Applied Industrial Technologies is guided by objectives of improving operational efficiencies in energy, water, waste and environmental management systems. We continually look for ways to provide value to our customers, while running our business successfully and safeguarding resources for future generations.
A number of ongoing sustainability initiatives include:
- In an effort to improve fuel economy and reduce greenhouse gas emissions fleet-wide, Applied® has replaced and will continue to replace its vehicles with efficient, environmentally friendly models.
- One hundred percent of Applied’s core carriers and more than 92% of Applied’s freight spend is with EPA SmartWay Transport Partners. SmartWay is an innovative collaboration between the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and the freight industry designed to increase energy efficiency while significantly reducing greenhouse gases and air pollution.
- Applied has developed procedures detailing the proper disposal of terminals, computers, printers and other computer-related equipment.
- The annual Applied Product Catalog is produced using eco-friendly materials, including ink made from renewable resources and paper made from post-consumer waste.
- Our indirect purchasing practices include purchasing ENERGY STAR® products whenever possible.
Corporate Headquarters Initiatives
- The headquarters utilizes an energy conservation system integrating automatic temperature control for heating and air conditioning equipment.
- The building was constructed with energy efficient windows designed with coated insulated glass to save energy.
- We recycle paper, catalogs, magazines, aluminum cans, glass and plastic products.
- The headquarters controls lighting with occupancy sensors where appropriate.
- We utilize a Green Certified cleaning process, which entails the use of HEPA filtered backpack vacuums, Green Seal certified cleaning products and color-coded cleaning supplies to reduce cross contamination.
Service Center Initiatives
- Most service centers utilize programmable thermostats.
- A large number of service centers utilize T8 electronic ballasts, high efficiency fluorescent bulbs and occupancy sensors where appropriate.
- HAZMAT Training is mandatory for all service center associates.
Distribution Center Initiatives
All Distribution Centers
- Recycle cardboard, plastic, paper, metals and used oil.
- Re-use skids, plastic shipping crates, packaging materials and cardboard boxes.
- Utilize high efficiency fluorescent bulbs.
- HAZMAT training is mandatory for all distribution center associates.
Select Distribution Centers
- Utilize highly efficient Opportunity Forklift Battery Chargers.
- Recycle chemicals and dispose of chemical waste using companies that provide environmental services.
- Utilize motion sensor lighting.
- Recycle printer cartridges, aluminum cans and cart batteries.